Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Writing Time

Cutter's Log - Supplemental

On longer sports trips, such as the trip to Dundee-Crown on Tuesday, I tend to feel tired on the drive home. When I get home, I'm ready to fall flat on my back on the bed and sleep for a few hours.

Likewise, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. after a six-hour sleep and typed the wrestling story.

If I would have written the story immediately following the event, perhaps I wouldn't have to wake up in the wee hours of the morning and type. However, the biggest problem I have is the absence of the laptop computer.

Without a laptop (and its unique networking stuff along with that, such as Wi-Fi), I have to drive home and find whatever energy I have left to muster the piece ASAP. In order to get anywhere in this journalism world, this is unacceptable.

The laptop has wound up toward the bottom of the "needs list" underneath brake pads, a computer tuneup, and just ONE class at Northern. If I had one, I could write quicker. I would be able to have the desire to conduct more "homework" than what I already do, which is very little.

Just give me a laptop, and I can work to turn everything around 180 degrees. But I don't have one, so I'll have to settle for the PC at home, and battling travel fatigue.

The only other way to curb this is to find libraries that allow public internet access. Most libraries limit access to just card-holders. However, a little digging can result in striking gold. When I was on my HOF trip last year, I called up libraries only to find something I was looking for in a suburb of Cleveland. Also, hopefully it can be one that is willing to be able to download my Web tools I use for the website.

Here's hoping I strike gold, in more ways than one, very soon.

No comments: