Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why are you driving? I think I know why ...

Cutter's Log - Stardate 1102.20.20
Current Song - Disco Inferno (The Trammps)


After a useless attempt at shoveling my sidewalks overnight, my sore self laid down in front of Channel 6 and watched the same dang thing over and over again. A trooper called into the station, and couldn't quite understand why people were out driving.

I think I know why.

These people are your everyday employees. They feel pressure put on them by workplace stipulations.

Call off? You're fired.

So these people have no choice other than to get out and defy Mother Nature because they need the money. They need to get to work, or else they will have NO source of income. They need to get to work because they have children to support, and a firing will ruin everything.

It's times like this that workplaces need to be flexible in their rules. No assembly line worker should have to risk his or her life for the benefit of the company he or she doesn't care about (and works there only for the paycheck).

Of course, those that NEED to be out there NEED to be there: your public safety workers, postal carriers, National guardsmen, journalists, etc. While they need to make every effort possible to get to where they need to be, sometimes even they won't be able to get there safely.

Then comes the boss who lays down a punishment. Then you wonder if your boss got to work by using some sort of Star Trek transporter. You explain your case.

Then comes the "I, therefore you" argument. No human is equal to others. Robots may be equal to other robots, but humans are not alike. You explain your case.

"But Punxsutawney Phil came out of his hole, then you should too!"

Then your boss puts his or her personal drama ahead of yours. You explain your case, however, by this time it may be too late for some people. The firing has been doled out because your boss has had enough.

Then you wonder if such people have a soul.

Not only will I be thinking of the people that NEED to be out at this time ...

But I will be thinking of those people that got, or will be getting, screwed over because of workplace policies and the handing of the pinkslip.

(Disclaimer: I have to work at my gas station tonight at 5:00. It's in that gray area between 'public safety profession' and 'artist'. We'll need to be open so that people can fill up their cars - as they are necessities. I live six blocks from work. I should be alright if my neighborhood street is touched by the plows, as well as Route 2 which should be alright by then. And if I can't make it ... it'll only be my second call-off in two-and-a-half years on the job.)

No comments: