Thursday, July 22, 2010

Baseball Cards

Cutter's Log - Stardate 0102.22.70
Current Song - Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac)


I've mentioned on this blog a few times that I have been keeping an eye on my baseball cards. My collection is divided into two parts. One part is the collection I have built together in the past 20 years. The second part is the collection I acquired from a gentleman who ran a business in Rock Falls.

About a couple of years ago, I swaped some cards between both collections. I then added in another 1,000 cards I acquired from a card shop in Madison into the second collection.

I will not be adding any more cards into the first collection. In fact, I want to permanantly store them somewhere. Maybe I should just bury them in the backyard with a note saying "do not open in 200 years." I will be selling off my second collection in the form of starter sets and single cards.

The decision to semi-retire from card collecting is based on two things: one is my time spent away from it, and two is the changing atmosphere of collecting.

I subscribe to Beckett monthly, and have done so off and on for at least 15 years. All of the attention is being given to rare cards, autographed cards, game piece cards, subset cards, etc. One, I can't afford to do that. Two, I have learned a lot from the horror stories of people collecting Travis Lee, Rick Ankiel, Rick Asadoorian, Brad Nelson, J.D. Drew, etc. These are rookie cards that were at the top of the world at one time. I have Nelson's. It was once $15. It is now $0.60. A side note - I own the card with the largest market freefall (1992 Donruss Update Kenny Lofton from $75.00 to $2.00).

When I began high school, the journalism thing and the job thing, I didn't collect as much. So my collection roughly stops at 2002.

As for the "hot" cards, I simply can't waste my money HOPING I will find the lucky card. I have seen dealers badly inflate pack prices in hopes that buyers have a chance at finding a hot rookie card. Barbaric. I have better things to do with my money.


***

So I will be selling off that second collection in the form of starter sets and single cards. The single cards were taken out of the primary collection in hopes that I can sell them for what they are worth.

The above statement causes a lot of heat between buyers and sellers.

I remember about 10 years ago when I had an Eric Moulds (remember him?) Topps Chrome rookie card, valued at $80.00. The guy that owned the card shop in town wanted to buy it for $20. We had a bit of a quarrel before I settled on $20 and took 20 cards from the $1 bin. He was soon selling that same card for $80.

So he makes $60 off the card, and I make $20 off it? What's wrong here?

Instead of bowing down and getting a fraction of the cost off of the card, I won't deal with people who are looking to make money off of my cards. I won't deal with pickers. I won't deal with pawners. I won't deal with ubercollectors. Instead, I would like to pass on what I know about collecting onto other people who are either just starting, or would like to start.

I am actually selling my single cards at a rung below book value. The "rung" is as follows: 05-10-15-20-25-30-40-50-60-75-100-125-150-200-250-300-400-500-600-800-1000 ...

My overall hope is that the new collectors can truely appreciate the value and the existance of the trading card, as well as the hobby.

No comments: